Utter Chaos' Notes

Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Slax Live-CD in a VM Summary

Here's my final(?) post on the Slax Live-CD running within a Virtual Machine to enable access to the hitachi's drive firmware using a USB<-> SATA Cable.

To reproduce my findings you need these three things:
  • An USB<->SATA cable. I used this one;
  • The free VMWare Player (link);
  • The Live-CD iso including the VMWare Virtual Disk and VMWare Configuration File (link).
Unzip the live-cd package to a location of choice and open the slax.vmx file using VMWare Player. This will fire up the Slax Live-CD within the player. Once fired up login using "root" for user and "toor" for password.

After logging in use the modprobe-command:
modprobe usb-storage fix_inq_vendor_id=0x152d fix_inq_prod_id=0x2338
Please Note: vendor_id and prod_id will differ if you're using another device.

Use dmesg to find out if and where your device is located (mine was at /dev/sda). Use the modeb command to get the Hitachi-drive in modeb:
modeb /dev/sda

That's it: You can either release the USB device from here and continue your work in Windows (without a need to reboot) or you can just use the linux-environment within the VMWare player.

9 Comments:

  • how would i go about doing this with sata from 360 drive to pc ?

    insted of sata to usb ?

    make an update on this please , thanks !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 21, 2006  

  • I only post my own findings here. I don't have the need to hook the sata-cable from the drive to the PC.

    By Blogger Utter Chaos, at Friday, July 21, 2006  

  • He this works great. Patching was successful.
    i bought accidentally the same cable (same v_id and p_id) and it worked fantastic. ANd the best :
    Without a restart.
    Thx utter chaos.
    hope you will release more such usefull thinks in future.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 10, 2006  

  • Sorry, but the usb adapter need to be connected before start all this process?..When I need connect the USB adapter and turn on the xbox?. Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, August 27, 2006  

  • how do u know the vendor_id and prod_id for the adapter?
    thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, September 01, 2006  

  • I've found my vendor id and Prod Id but I cant find my Hitachi Drive!!!!

    Im not very familair with Linux so how can I go about finding it??

    Its not /dev/sda like yours

    Thanks for your Help

    Mike

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, September 15, 2006  

  • All ok, new USB registered and attached scsi disk sda done.
    But when I write: " modeb /dev/sda/" the msg is "no such file or dir...".
    I don't know linux, please help me!!!.

    Thanks a lot

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, September 19, 2006  

  • i just wnna thank you man its working thats what a call smart man you are the best keep da good stuff coming,and for those who having problem with modeb /dev/sda just type it like that modeb than space than dev/sda like this modeb /dev/sda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, September 20, 2006  

  • modeb /dev/sda gives me a file/directory error

    My m in "mode" is always coming up as upper case M...

    I need some help pelase

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, November 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home